This gluten-free dark chocolate cinnamon bread with a vegan dark chocolate and cinnamon swirl is possibly the best bread ever! If you’re looking for a gluten and dairy free bread that’s perfect for those following an allergen free diet, look no further.
Fall is officially in the air as Houston’s steaming hot summer heat comes to an end. That means it’s time to start whipping out your favorite fall recipes. This gluten-free dark chocolate cinnamon bread will change the way you view gluten-free baking. Before making a transition to allergen free recipes I was all about all-purpose flour, lol. It’s reliable and I can trust that it will yield the same results over and over again. Not the case with gluten-free (wheat free) flours.
Over the weekend I tried my hand at baking gluten-free bread. I don’t have a bread maker, so finding a recipe that I could bake in a loaf pan was my goal. I came across a simple recipe for a snickerdoodle loaf. Due to the original recipe’s ingredients of wheat, eggs and sour cream, I modified it a bit by incorporating allergen friendly ingredients. The use of oat flour, flax eggs and plant-based sour cream allows this recipe to be enjoyed by all!
I’ve created some really awful gluten-free desserts, but this gluten-free bread is possibly the best.
What I really love about this recipe is its top layer of toasted cinnamon and sugar. I baked this bread for 60 minutes and although the original recipe only called for 38 minutes, the bread was not done. Increasing the bake time not only rendered a crispy top, it also allowed the dark chocolate morsels to melt completely. My recommendation would be to ensure that you check your bread at the 30 minute mark and adjust the time accordingly. It’s possible that the use of the flax egg affected the outcome, but I honestly have no idea.
If you’re looking for a treat to make for someone who can’t eat gluten, wheat or dairy, this is the perfect recipe! I’m willing to bet if you don’t tell anyone this is gluten-free bread, they won’t know. Which makes this Gluten-Free Vegan Dark Chocolate Cinnamon Bread is the perfect dessert for any crowd!
Gluten-Free Dark Chocolate Cinnamon Bread | Tastybits
- 2-½ cups of oat flour
- 2 tsps of baking powder
- ½ tsp of salt
- 2 tsps of cinnamon
- 1 cup of softened plant-based butter
- 2 cups of sugar
- 3 flax eggs
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- ¾ cup of plant-based sour cream
- 1 package of vegan dark chocolate chips
Cinnamon & Sugar Topping
- 3 tbsps of sugar
- 3 tsp of cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Prepare flax egg by mixing 3 tbsps of flax egg to 3/4 cups of water and allowing to sit for 5 minutes or until the consistency of an egg is reached
- In a large bowl, mix together the butter, sugar, salt and cinnamon until creamy and fluffy. Mix in
the eggs until well combined then stir in the vanilla and sour cream
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour and baking powder then add to the cream mixture and mix until well combined. Stir in the vegan dark chocolate chips.
- In a bowl, mix together 3 tbsps of sugar and 3 tsps of cinnamon
- Spoon 1/2 of the batter into loaf pan followed by 1/2 of the cinnamon and sugar mix.
- Pour remaining batter into pan and add top with remaining cinnamon and sugar mix.
- Bake In a preheated oven to 350° bake for 40 minutes
- Remove from over, test and add more cook time if needed.
- Allow bread to cool for 20 minutes prior to serving.
- The original recipe calls for 38 minutes of cook time, but I found that more bake time was needed. I suggest testing this recipe and adding the necessary bake time required to reach full doneness. I baked for a total of 60 minutes.