This crispy gluten-free sesame honey glazed chicken recipe is a delicious gluten-free, family-friendly weeknight dinner. These crispy chicken tenderloins are coated in brown rice flour, fried to golden perfection, and drenched in a soy-free Asian-inspired glaze. Pair your crispy sesame honey glazed chicken with fried rice or your favorite stir-fry veggies for an easy weeknight meal.
The goal with this recipe was to create something quick, and easy that I could have on the dinner table in 30 minutes. This recipe for crispy gluten-free sesame honey glazed chicken checked all those boxes. Now that Emory is getting older we’re all eating the same thing. That makes family-friendly weeknight dinners even more special. She loves crispy chicken tenderloins and can’t get enough of the sweet and sticky Asian-inspired glaze.
I’ve written other blog posts that go into detail about gluten-free fried chicken. Although the method used here is slightly different. To fry the crispy chicken tenderloins I first dredged them in brown rice flour. Then oat milk (you can use buttermilk for a non-dairy free option), followed by a final coating of flour. This locks in some of the juices and ensures the ultimate crispy-crunchy coating.
How to make crispy, gluten-free fried chicken?
Brown Rice Flour is the best gluten-flour for frying in my opinion. When combined with gluten-free cornstarch the outcome is delicious, golden-brown, crispy fried chicken. The kind of fried chicken that makes noise when you bite into it!! This recipe calls for the soy-free honey glaze to be poured over the chicken. Having crispy chicken ensures that the glaze evenly coats the tenderloins.
For this recipe you will need:
- 1 cup of vegetable oil
- 2 pounds organic chicken tenderloins
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free brown rice flour
- 1 cup oat milk (or non-dairy milk of your choice)
- A flax egg can also be used here to replace milk (1 tbs flax/3 tbs water/mix and allow to sit for 5 minutes)
Can I use chicken breasts instead of tenderloins?
Any cut of chicken will work well with this recipe. I typically work with whatever cut of chicken comes in my ButcherBox. My current box came with tenderloins and thighs. If you decide to use breasts, make sure you cut them in half (lengthwise) to ensure they cook all the way through when frying.
What’s an Asian-inspired glaze?
This glaze is referenced as “Asian-inspired” because the standard recipe for the glaze contains ingredients that are typically found in “Asian sauces,” i.e. soy sauce. This recipe does not contain soy sauce or any other traces of soy. I honestly only used the term to assist in providing an idea of the sauces flavor profile.
The following ingredients were used in the soy-free sesame honey glaze:
- Worcestershire Sauce (Contains anchovy)
- Pineapple Juice
- Brown Sugar
- Lemon Juice
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
How do I thicken my soy-free sesame honey glaze?
Simple. One tablespoon of cornstarch mixed with two tablespoons of water. In a small bowl whisk the cornstarch and warm water together to form a smooth, pourable liquid. Add this mixture to your simmering glaze and stir. The sauce will begin to thinking within minutes. One fail-proof way to determine if your glaze is the right consistency is if it coats your spoon when stirring.
Can I use soy sauce as a substitute for worcestershire sauce?
Worcestershire sauce (contains anchovy) is the perfect gluten/soy-free substitute for soy sauce. It provides great depth and flavor to your Asian-inspired sauces. I prefer Lea & Perrins as it is certified gluten-free. One note about substituting soy sauce, you may want to add a bit more salt to your sauce/glaze. I recommend constantly tasting your glaze to ensure a balanced salty-sweet outcome.
Amazon Picks for this recipe!
Crispy Gluten-Free Baked BBQ Chicken Wings
6-Ingredient Chicken Fajita Salad Recipe
Spicy Gluten-free fried chicken breakfast sandwich
Crispy, Gluten-Free Sesame Honey-Glazed Chicken
Crispy Chicken Tenderloins
- 2 lbs Organic Chicken Tenderloins
- 2 cups Gluten-Free Brown Rice Flour
- 1 cup Oat Milk Or other non-dairy milk
- 2 tbsp Tony Chachere Cajun Seasoning other Cajun Seasoning
Soy-Free Sesame Honey Glaze
- 1/2 cup Honey
- 1/3 cup Worcestershire Sauce (gluten-free)
- 1/4 cup Pineapple Juice
- 2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 cup Lemon juice 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp Gluten-free cornstarch
- 2 tbsp warm water
Soy-Free Sesame Honey Glaze
- In a small saucepan, mix all glaze ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 min, stirring constantly. Once mixture starts to bubble around the edges stir in cornstarch and warm water mixture. The glaze will begin to thicken in 5 minutes. Pour glaze over crispy tenderloins and serve.
Crispy Chicken Tenderloins
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Rinse chicken tenderloins and pat dry.
- Working in two batches: dip chicken in flour, then milk, and into flour once more, ensuring all pieces are evenly coated.
- Cook pieces until golden brown on both sides. Remove from oil and place on a paper towel. (internal temp should read 74°)
- Once all pieces are complete pour glaze over the chicken and serve immediately.
12 thoughts on “Crispy Gluten-free Sesame Honey Glazed Chicken”
Thank you for making this look easy. I feel confident that I can make this dish. I’ve made flax seed egg substitute before. This recipe is great. I’m excited that it’s also gluten free!
So easy and delicious!!
Will definitely have to try this out! My sister is gluten sensitive, will make this for her! Thank You
Looks like sticky wings. I can tell its chewy and tender.
Just like sticky wings but crunchier and more meat!! Lol
Wow! You must have been reading my mind because my favorite cuisine is Asian. Stir fry is my go to quick meal and I absolutely love anything sweet and spicy like this recipe. I will definitely be cooking this gluten free sesame honey chicken and I may pair it with rice noodles instead of rice! Thank you for sharing and the pictures look great!
I love when a dish tastes like take-out but you made it at home with minimal effort, and it’s free too!
Hello?! for FREE!!!
This chicken looks mouthwatering!! And I love that it’s gluten-free. I can’t wait to try!
Can’t wait to hear what you think.
I love the gluten free alternatives. This looks really tasty and has that crunch that I love.
Happy to hear that!!