My husband loves apricots, and I love oatmeal. My gluten-free vegan Apricot Crumble is the perfect representation of us as a couple. This crumble is allergen-friendly and contains no eggs, dairy, or nuts. It’s the perfect treat and super simple to make. If you’re looking for a delicious dessert that’s both comforting and quick, give this recipe a try!
[ctct form=”13826″ show_title=”false”]
By now, I am sure you’ve noticed that I love everything sweet. During a recent Pinterest search for apricot desserts, I came across a recipe from mom endeavors. Sara’s recipe was for gluten-free, vegan apricot bars. I followed the recipe word for word, but unfortunately, my results were slightly different. For whatever reason, my mixture didn’t firm up. Leaving me with a soft crumble instead of individual bars. Although not the intended outcome, this gluten-free, vegan apricot crumble was damn good!
The crumble was comforting, crunchy, and sweet. For the next batch, I plan to use actual preserves vs. canned apricot filling. The heaviness of the canned fruit may be the reason the bars didn’t set. This recipe was super easy and can easily be made using other fruits and preserves. Now that I’m thinking about it, I’ve made a few muffin recipes that would be delicious with this oat crumble as the topping.
As always, there were a few modifications made to the original recipe. For one, I noticed the canned apricot wasn’t as sweet as I’d hoped. To ensure the dessert was sweet enough, I sprinkled two tablespoons of brown sugar directly on top of the apricot spread before adding the second layer of oat topping. Possibly the wisest decision I’ve made in a while. I also used vegan butter instead of cooking spray to grease my baking pan. I’ve noticed that some sprays leave a weird taste behind. Maybe I’m using too much!
Anywho, I hope you enjoy this easy recipe. It’s possible that all the ingredients are already in your pantry. Those are indeed the best recipes. I love not having to go to the grocery store every time I get the urge to whip up something sweet.
Gluten-Free Vegan Apricot Crumble | TastyBits
- 1 1/4 Cup Gluten-Free Rolled Oats
- 3/4 Cup Gluten-Free Flour
- 1/2 Cup Vegan Butter softened
- 1/2 Cup Packed Dark Brown Sugar + 2 tbs for sprinkling
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Cup Apricot Fruit Filling canned
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Spray 9 x 9 pyrex baking dish with non-stick vegan cooking spray
- In a large mixing bowl, combine oats, softened butter, dark brown sugar, baking soda, and gluten-free flour with a pastry cutter or fork.
- Measure out 2 cups of oat mixture and firmly press into the bottom pyrex dish.
- Carefully spread apricot filling over the crust roughly 1/4" from the edge of the crust.
- Bake 40 minutes
- Let cool and enjoy!