If you love sweet cherries and dark chocolate, then you will love these Vegan Cherry Chocolate Muffins. They are free of the top eight allergens and contain only the freshest ingredients. The super-sweet Northwest Cherries make this recipe even more delicious. Enjoy this yummy recipe that’s perfect for the whole family.
[ctct form=”13826″ show_title=”false”]
I received a massive shipment of sweet, red cherries from Northwest Cherry Growers/Washington State Fruit Commission earlier this week and couldn’t be more excited about it. I have been scouring Pinterest to find delicious, cherry-centric recipes that suit my current dietary restrictions. My search led me to these Vegan Cherry Chocolate Muffins from Elephantastic.
This recipe is perfect for beginner bakers like me. It’s easy, requires minimal ingredients, and the baking process takes less than 45 minutes. Additionally, the base batter is the same as my Vegan Cranberry Muffins.
I made a few modifications to the recipe, but nothing major. Because I can’t have wheat, I used Krusteaz Gluten-free flour and vegan dark chocolate morsels and added a little applesauce. Given the extra wet ingredient, I increased the bake time here by 5 minutes. Here’s a secret, because I eat these muffins for breakfast, I like them to be a bit denser. A filling first meal of the day. If you do not like dense muffins, remove the applesauce and add an egg replacer. This will make them a bit more light and fluffy.
Nothing beats the smell of muffins baking in the oven. The smell alone had my husband waiting for them to finish in the kitchen. Because these muffins are egg, nut, dairy, and wheat-free, Emory can enjoy them too. As she gets older, I look forward to making these types of recipes with her. For now, she reaps the benefits of my “hard” work. She and my husband enjoyed this recipe, and I hope you do too!
Vegan Cherry Chocolate Muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose gluten free flour , sifted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil liquid
- 1 cup oat milk or your favorite plant-based milk
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbs unsweetened Organic applesauce
- 1/2 cup chopped dark chocolate morsels divided
- 1 cup cherries roughly chopped
- 15 whole cherries pitted and halved
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, whisk, then add in coconut oil, almond milk, and apple cider vinegar and whisk again until it's a smooth batter.
- Fold in half of the chopped chocolate and the halved cherries.
- Fill the muffin batter in muffin wrappers or use a lightly oiled muffin pan. Add the rest of the chopped chocolate and put a whole, pitted cherry on top of each muffin. Bake the muffins in the oven for about 25 minutes or until golden. Let them cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and allow to rest on a wire rack for 5 additional minutes.