These sweet and salty marshmallow carob chip cookies are the best soft and chewy cookies in town. These marshmallow chocolate chip cookies are jampacked with salty, gluten-free pretzels, vegan marshmallows, and carob chips. Your kids will never guess that these moist cookies are both gluten-free and vegan.
[ctct form=”13826″ show_title=”false”]
PIN THIS RECIPE!
I’ve spent all summer perfecting my carob chip cookie recipe because It’s very important that my 2-year-old only be served soft and chewy cookies. These sweet and salty marshmallow carob chip cookies are some of the most deliciously moist cookies you will find. These vegan cookies were born out of a late-night snack attack for something sweet, salty, and straightforward. I made these gluten-free cookies in 20 minutes and ate them in bed. Yea, that’s the life I am living during COVID!
As you know, when a snack attack hits, the last thing you’re trying to do is go to the store. I decided to use ingredients that I already had in my pantry. Given Emory’s aversion to cocoa powder, I used carob chips instead of chocolate chips. Feel free to use vegan chocolate chips or any chips you have on hand. Butterscotch chips work well here too! We always have marshmallows on hand (most live under our couch), so their inclusion was a no-brainer. Additionally, I received a care package filled with yummy, crispy, crunchy, and salty gluten-free pretzels from FitJoy that worked perfectly in this marshmallow chocolate chip cookie recipe.
HOW TO MAKE SWEET SALTY MARSHMALLOW CAROB CHIP COOKIES?
To make vegan cookies and gluten-free cookies, you will need to replace the butter, eggs, and AP flour with allergy-friendly ingredients. I prefer Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Flour, Earth Balance Plant-Based Butter, and replace eggs with applesauce.
Step one: cream your softened butter and sugar. Once soft and creamy, add in your vanilla extract and applesauce.
Step two: Stir your flour, salt, and baking soda into the wet mixture. Then thoroughly combine using your stand mixer. By stirring the flour in first, then mixing you reduce the amount of flour that flies everywhere.
Step three: Fold in your add-ins. I used carob chips (chocolate chips work fine!), pretzels, and marshmallows.
HOW TO MAKE SOFT AND CHEWY GLUTEN-FREE COOKIES?
The key to soft and chewy cookies is high moisture content. The recipe, baking time, and temperature must be adjusted to retain moisture. Binding the water in butter, applesauce, and brown sugar (it contains molasses, which is 10 percent water) with flour slows its evaporation.
CAN I USE OTHER SWEETENERS?
If you’re looking for a cookie that’s low in sugar, I suggest using coconut sugar or date syrup as alternatives. The syrup adds more moisture, which in turn will add to the softness of your cookies.
WHAT CAN I USE IN PLACE OF EGGS IN MY COOKIES?
Although this recipe is egg-free, most cookie recipes require them. I substitute 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce or one ripe banana for recipes that require an egg. Some people use flax eggs. I don’t bake with them, so I can’t recommend it.
WHAT CAN I USE IN PLACE OF CAROB CHIPS?
You can substitute your favorite chocolate chips in this recipe. To take the fun up a notch, try butterscotch or white chocolate chips.
OTHER COOKIES RECIPES
- Vegan Sweet Potato Cookies
- Gluten-Free Snickerdoodle Cookies | TastyBits
- Gluten-Free Carob Chip Cookies | TastyBits
AMAZON PICKS FOR THIS RECIPE
I genuinely thank you for visiting my blog. If you enjoyed this Sweet Salty Marshmallow Carob Chip cookies recipe, please share it with your friends and family and on social media. If you happen to try out this recipe, please tag me. I’d love to share your creations in my stories with credits to you! Facebook or Instagram
Sweet Salty Marshmallow Carob Chip Cookies
- 1/2 Cup Plant-Based Butter
- 1/3 Cup White Sugar
- 2/3 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 3/4 Cup Gluten-Free Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 Cup Vegan chocolate chips or carob chips
- 1/2 Cup Marshmallows
- 1/2 Cup Salty Pretzels
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
- Using a stand mixer (or a hand mixer with a large bowl), cream softened plant-based butter, white sugar, and packed brown sugar for 3-4 minutes on medium speed, or until soft, smooth, creamy, and evenly incorporated.
- Add applesauce and vanilla extract.
- Turn the mixer back on to medium speed and cream together another minute.
- Gently stir dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking soda) into wet ingredients. Followed by slowly mixing on low speed until just combined. ( I added this step because it's the only way I know how to stop flour from going everywhere)!
- Stir in carob chips, marshmallows, and pretzels. Using a small or large ice cream scoop (or tablespoon), scoop cookie dough onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Don't overcrowd cookie sheet as cookies will spread. Place cookies a couple of inches apart, 6 cookies per baking sheet.
- Bake for 17 minutes, or until the desired crispness. Remove from the oven and let cool on the baking sheet a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
- As all oven temperatures vary, I suggest checking your cookies at the 10-minute mark.
- If you'd like a flatter cookie slam your baking sheet onto a flat surface towards the end of the baking process.
- Feel free to add more or less of the added ingredients as you'd like. This is a great recipe to get the kids to help with.
LOVE IT? PIN IT!