This easy gluten-free brown sugar peach crisp is delicious using any berry combination you like. Although the original recipe was made using blackberries and raspberries, I used peaches in an attempt to recreate an allergy-friendly version of one of our family’s secret recipes.
One thing I can say about my family is we love to eat. Food has always been an essential part of our small family. We shamelessly have an undying love for Arkansas BBQ and sweets. Our famous ooey-gooey “Bootleg Peach Pie” is undoubtedly the best pie I’ve ever had. This secret recipe is four generations old and the complete opposite of allergy-friendly.
That being said, my brown sugar peach crisp is made with gluten-free oats, plant-based butter, and gluten-free flour. Additionally, given my aversion to fresh peaches, this recipe calls for canned peaches. Which, in my opinion, makes it a bit easier to recreate. My Gluten-Free Apricot Crumble was made with canned fruit too. Just as delicious.
The next time I make this recipe, I plan to use a deeper baking dish. I used a 9×13 pyrex dish, which created a thin layer of fruit under the oats. An 8×8 pyrex is what I would suggest. Just to ensure you get a good, warm, helping of sweet peaches and crunchy baked oats.
RECIPE NOTES & FAQ
Can I use all-purpose flour? Absolutely. This recipe is just as delicious with all-purpose flour and regular butter.
Can I use fresh peaches? Yes, but you will want to use super ripened peaches. Ripe fruit will ensure that your crisp has the appropriate texture and sweetness.
If you prefer to use fresh peaches, I suggest looking over this post from Tastes Better From Scratch for guidance.
What’s the best way to handle the canned fruit? As the recipe calls for two cans of canned peaches, I recommend mixing one can with the respective ingredients listed below and leaving the other peach slices whole. The whole peaches add a bit of additional texture to the crisp.
I hope you enjoy this recipe. As always, please leave any questions or comments you may have below!
Thanks for visiting my blog. If you enjoyed this recipe, please share it with your friends and family l and on social media. If you happen to try out this recipe, please tag me on Instagram or in your stories at @blackallergymama. I’d love to share your creations in my stories with credits to you!
Gluten-Free Brown Sugar Crisp
- 8 x 8 pyrex dish
Canned Peach Fruit Filling
- 2 Cans Organic Canned Peaches
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp Salt divided
Brown Sugar Crumble Topping
- 2 Cup Gluten-Free Rolled Oats Bob's Red Mill
- 2/3 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Gluten-Free Flour Bob Red Mill's 1 to 1 Baking Flour
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Tsp Nutmeg
- Pre-heat oven to 375° FCoat 8-inch square baking dish with non-stick cooking spray (I use coconut oil)
Canned Peach Filling
- In a large mixing bowl combine 1 can of organic peaches, sugar, cornstarch, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Mix with a hand mixer and pour it into a baking dish.
Brown Sugar Crumble Topping
- In the work bowl of a food processor, or working by hand with a pastry cutter, or two forks, combine the rolled oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, flour, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Add butter and pulse (10-15x) or cut with pastry cutter or forks if using hands until the mixture is crumbly. Scatter topping over fruit filling.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes until fruit is bubbling and oat topping is golden. Serve with vanilla ice cream
- Store remaining crisp in an air-tight container.